CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

March 24, 2010

Bells Palsy?

Tyler and I had a talk the other day about how even though we have witnessed many trials over the last few years, we have been blessed with good health.  You would think that a person who has my good fortune could learn to keep her mouth closed.  Apparantly, We are at a point in our lives where we are ready for "progression". So whenever I get cocky and think that I am "blessed" in one particular area, it has to be tested...How else can I truly appreciate it?
So all last week and the beginning of this week I had the worst headache. Nothing I did would relieve the pain. Yesterday I started to have some wierd symptoms that literally came out of no where. I noticed that I could not wink my right eye and then by the time I went to bed, I could not close my eye at all and when I woke up this morning my vision was very blurred. I was also having trouble with my mouth. I can't  lick my lips or form my mouth around a spoon.  Rinsing with mouthwash was interesting because it all shoots out the right side of my mouth.  I was looking in the mirror and I noticed that my right eye was drooping a little and that my "smile" lines were gone. I have to admit I began to be a little concerned, because the only symptoms that I knew of with facial paralysis was stroke. Needless to say I saw my doctor this afternoon and she said that I contracted a virus that set up camp in the space where my facial nerve resides The inflamation has caused the right side of my face to become paralyzed. The kicker is that it will probably take about 12 weeks for it to work its way out of my body.  Thankfully, most people my age who are in good health,should recover completely... Lets cross our fingers...She gave me prednasone, an antiviral drug called acyclovir, and some eye drops to keep my eye moist since it is open all the time. The plus side to all of this is that I have lost about five years in the right side of my face.  My doctor said that "paralysis is as good as botox."  SWEET!!!  But, I will be willing to trade the "free botox" for normal facial function any day. (Ha Ha )
So if you see me and only half of my face is smiling at you, or you notice that only one of my eyes is blinking, know that I am not trying to start a new trend. And if you think its funny, I'm a good sport and I wont take it personally if you chuckle at my new look! Ha Ha Ha.



ARGH.  All I'm missing here is my eyepatch!!!

9 comments:

Poulsen Family said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you recover quickly and there are no lasting effects.

Michelle Price said...

Mandy! I'm so sorry, but I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious! Hope it clears up quickly. I love your attitude!

tusholladay said...

Oh my gosh! I was just talking the other day with my cousin about Bells Palsy. How weird is that?! Hope you recover fast!

Andrea said...

You've got a great attitude about it! It's always good to laugh at ourselves. Hope it gets better soon.

Sara Cotter said...

I hope you get better soon.

Elizabeth said...

You're not that droppy! Could be worse. I have seen it.

Jana said...

Mandy,
I thought I'd just pop over to see your blog and I couldn't believe it when I read this post. I hope you're OK. I was so glad to hear that you should recover in a few weeks and be back to normal. I hope I see you tomorrow.

Tara H. said...

Oh my goodness!! I can't believe that, that is scary!
On the plus side, when we were talking on Friday at the school, I didn't notice a thing! :)

Mandy said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I am grateful for the medical technology that we have today that can fix things like facial paralysis. I am pretty much back to normal having only had to endure the paralysis for about three and a half weeks. There are still some wierd kinks that I am assuming will disappear with time, but for the most part I feel lucky. I recognize that things could have been a lot worse.